Saturday 30 April 2011

Belize Day #3


Woke up at Ruby's, our hostel for our first two nights in San Pedro.  Went for breakfast at International Cafe on Front St.  I had an omelet, fry jacks, coffee and OJ, Jes had fruit plate and OJ.  Satisfying breakfast.  Hopped aboard our dive boat at 9:30 to do 2 local dives: Tres Cocos and Esmeralda. Saw a great big turtle on the first one, pod of dolphins on the 2nd. First dives since Mexico about 14 months prior...all went well.  Got back around 1pm, went for sandwiches and a slice of Coconut pie at the bakery on Front St. I thought the chicken in the smoked chicken sandwich looked gross so I switched with Jes for her smoked ham. We were both happy with the arrangement. Larry from Poor and Famous, a charity fund for kids' sports pitched us on his cause. We donated BZ$10.
 Hit an internet cafe on Front St and then went for a self-guided island walking tour. We went right up to the bridge at the split, stopping at a bar beside a high school on the beach and another one on the 2nd St from the docks. We had a bunch of rum and cokes and Belikens and the barkeep gave us a couple shots of OJ, Pineapple juice, coconut rum and some other alcoholic deliciousness. We left gooned. On the way back we stopped at a local eatery for some panades, garnaches and another local delicacy I can't remember the name of (salbutes). All spiced up with Marie Sharp's of course, and all delicious. I had beers from 2 doors down, opened with my sandal-mounted bottle opener. Being as drunk as I was, I proceeded to break the arm of the plastic chair I was sitting in. I was kind enough to offer payment and they were ridiculous enough to charge me BZ$36. I paid our BZ$41 bill, food in, and moved along. We went on a wild goose chase for sunburn lotion Jes had seen earlier and eventually found it again, along with my long-coveted Belize Flag towel. We had a quick bite to eat at a touristy pizza joint and went back to Ruby's for an early nite ahead of our early morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment