Thursday 21 July 2011

Switzerland: 1st Day of Performances


Still no hoop.  Karen called Genève cargo this morning the hoop is gone.  Immediately we got on finding someone to make us a new one.  After a few phone calls by our French mom, we found someone who can have it done by tomorrow morning.  It will miss our first big performance, but will be there for the really important performances later this week.  In the meantime, while walking around the performance grounds, I saw the Swiss team carrying a similar hoop.  I approached them and luckily the girls spoke a little English.  I explained (or at least tried to) what happened to our hoop.  One of the Swiss girls immediately got defensive and stated very clearly that the hoop they had, was not ours.  My communications skills were obviously lacking.  The Swiss thought I was accusing them of stealing our hoop.  After a quick clarification the girls understood that because ours was missing, I was wondering if I could borrow theirs for our show tonight.  They passed me off to their head honcho who spoke perfect English, and I had us a hoop for our performance.  The hoop had a diameter of 6 feet instead of 5, and was made of plastic so it couldn’t be stunted on, but it was the best we could we could get so it was going to have to work! 



            By this time in the week, I’m exhausted.  It didn’t help that I had to take a quick subway and run 10 blocks to try to find a performance suit 30 minutes prior to one of the performances.  I have had to do this before when managing, but never in my life have I done it for someone over the age of 14.  This athlete was 26!  In the end the suit was not at the school where I was looking, it was at the performance site where she took it out of her bag when she took the performance music out!

Overall, the day consisted of running around after kids and preparing them for their performances.  The day ended with me chaperoning a group of 5 to Austria’s performance.  I am performanced out!  After a full day, I have had enough.  I do not know how I will make it through the next 5 days.  During Austria’s performance (you have to pay to go, $40 got us front row seats), I started frantically searching through my purse for some sort of wake-me-up.  The only thing I could find was two vitamin C’s. I quickly gobbled them up, and was understanding, but disappointed in the results.  I was nodding off in the front row where the performers could see.  I didn’t think it would be appropriate to walk out to get some fresh air.  I was desperate; these performances might be the end of me.  I even considered picking the scab on my knee in order to stay awake.  That’s how bad it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment