Monday 18 July 2011

Switzerland: Cheese & Chocolate

Today I got to see Switzerland!  The day was beautiful.  Considering we were told it would be 11 days of rain, this was our second day of sunshine.  I got a group of 20 girls up and ready and headed on a chocolate train tour.  It took a little navigating to get from the metro station to the train station, but by 10am, we were on our fancy chocolate train and touring through incredible scenery.  We were going to get our fill of what Switzerland has to offer …. Cheese and Chocolate.   Our first stop was at a cheese factory. The cheese factory was good, the free samples were even better, although, my digestive system needed anything but cheese, I couldn’t help myself. 


After the cheese tour we hopped on a bus and headed to the town of Gruyere.  This was a beautiful town built around cobblestone roads up the side of a mountain and lined with small shops, bakeries and ending with a castle at the top of the mountain.  The scenery was breathtaking.  By far our 2 hours in this town was the highlight of my day.  I could have stayed the entire 11 days right there.  Lunch consisted of freshly baked bread, some local meat and of course, more cheese; I was going to pay for this.  


After lunch we headed through more countryside to the Callier Chocolate factory.  The majority of the tour was suited for young kids, but the end would suit anyone.  We entered a room where there were 100’s, and I mean 100’s of chocolates sitting around the table. (sorry, broken chain of thoughts, I am sitting in my small classroom working on my computer with the lights out attracting bugs to my screen and a bug flew directly into my eye) We were allowed to have as many as we wanted as long as we ate them prior to leaving the room.  This sampling table left me (and everyone else) sick but prevailing, everyone purchased more chocolate in the souvenir shop at the end of the tour.   


We hopped back on our train, headed back to civilization, had supper at the school and headed to bed.  At this point, still no hoop.

1 comment: