Monday 18 July 2011

Switzerland: The Day of The Hoop

Woke up and headed to the showers early enough to avoid all children.   Ate breakfast and got my girls ready for practice.  The girls practiced from 9:30 am to 12:00 pm, so I had the morning off and was ready to go shopping.  I had a few things on my list, and a new watch was at the very top.  After waiting for Karen and Klara to be done talking with all the parents, we headed out to enjoy the morning.  First order of agenda, we needed to find some wiffy in order to check the status of our hoop.   Here is a picture of one of the acts our hoop is in:



After a very strong European coffee, we still had not had any luck finding it.  The phone number we were given was useless.  For the better part of the morning, I was thrown between a German guy telling me to use the website, and a German guy telling me he is unable to place my call.  The website only told us it was “tracking” our item, but would not tell us where it was.  We were finally booted out of the coffee shop for a reservation and had, at the current time exhausted our entire hoop finding resources. 



Karen, Klara and I headed to the outside market and shopping center.  It was beautiful, but I only had approximately 45 minutes to spare.  I have to figure out how to spend more time in this market, my watch shopping was very time limited.  I headed back, fed the girls and sent the majority of them off to another practice and took the few in my care back to the outside market.  They loved it.  I spent most of my time talking with the parent that works at Air Canada exhausting all of her resources trying to find our hoop.  I was not getting any closer to my new watch.  



By this time I had already phone Sara in Regina, woke her up at 6:00 am and started her on the search for our missing hoop.  We thought it would be better getting someone in Canada to work on it.  We struggle making phone calls and have very limited wiffy, which increases difficulties.  Sara, was super patient with my 6:00 wake up call, and worked endlessly all day between Regina, Toronto and Genève Airports.  None of the tracking numbers given to us worked.  The hoop was officially missing!  I headed back to the school, picked up the rest of my crew (who I had convinced to come to the Jazz festival with me) and headed off.   A short train ride later we were in Montreux enjoying the festival on the shoreline of Lac Genève.



I moseyed around the market, setting the girls loose to shop the festival and finally settled on a silver bracelet.  So, for 19 Franc I had replaced my urge to buy a watch.  I then received a phone call.  It took me a while to figure out which phone I should answer.  I had my Canadian phone, which was completely useless; I had a Swiss phone from Klara and had stolen a Blackberry from one of the coaches because it seemed to be the only one I could operate.  Well, by the time I figured out it was my Swiss phone that ringing, I had missed the call.  Since very few people know my Swiss number and one of them was the Airport in Genève, I was in panic.  I quickly texted Klara (from the coaches phone) and told her what happened.  As soon as I pressed send, I hear my named called.  It was Klara and Karen at the Jazz festival taking a hoop-searching break with white wine and hot dogs.  I joined them immediately.   

After our wine and hotdogs, I gathered the kids and headed back to the school for our official “Team Canada” pictures.  I know I should be somewhat excited about this; it will most likely be the only “Team Canada” photo I will ever be in, but I just couldn’t rise to the occasion.  After an hour and a half of pictures (we have a delegation of approximately 600 people, almost ½ of which are “supporters”, aka parents who paid an astronomical amount of money to get all of their “Team Canada” apparel) I was ready for bed.  After a quick managers meeting to put out a few fires fabricated by one of our managers (later to be referred to as my nemesis), I was off to bed.   Tomorrow morning Karen will head to the Genève airport (40 km) , and see if she can do any searching for our hoop there.  The girls have practice in the morning, I’m going to try my watch purchasing again, but it is Sunday, so I’m not getting my hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment