Tuesday 2 August 2011

Switzerland: Boring

           Not much to report.  In short we dropped the girls off at training, I had a quiet coffee with one of the other chaperones.  Grabbed a gross lunch and hauled all the girls equipment over to their venue for tonight’s show.  Oh, it rained all day, including the hour I spent making an extra trip back to the school to pick up some forgotten tights (athlete was 15 this time).  As I stated yesterday, I was to be given the breaks because the other chaperones are going to get from 2:00 pm till 9:00 pm off on Friday.  This didn’t happen.  When the athlete told me she forgot her tights, I went to inform her chaperone.  It was then I was told she wasn’t there because she was on a break!  I’m furious, and that is all I am going to say about that!  I went and got the missing tights (two metro trains and a twenty minute walk in the rain). 

I got volunteered to run the curtains during the PAGU (the Pan-American countries) performance.  It was a hilarious experience.  My job was to open the curtain when told.  As I waited for my cue, coaches and athletes were yelling at me and before I got my cue they would race underneath the curtain, forcing me to open them.  It was completely amateur and disorganized; but, since it is a performance, nobody really cares about precision.  

            Oh ya, by the way.  Approximately a week before I left for Switzerland, I was playing ball and on one particular swing I felt something hurt in my wrist.  It felt like a dislocation.  Since I wasn’t done my at bat, I shook it off, and two swings later, I felt it again.  My wrist was very sore for a few days after.  Even after 5 days, it still hurt and I thought something was more wrong than me just being a wimp about a sore wrist.  Nate’s words of encouragement were “you’ll be ok”.  Yesterday while the team physio was working on one of the athlete’s wrist, which was jammed, I casually turned around and asked her if my wrist was jammed.  She checked it out and told me within 10 seconds that I had a bone in my wrist and it wasn’t sitting properly and that is why I had so much pain.  After playing with my wrist for less than 5 minutes we both felt her slip the bone back into place.  It instantly felt glorious.  It was weak and tired, but pain free.  The problem is when a bone has been out for that long; it is hard to keep it back in place.   The muscles get weak.  It slipped out twice more yesterday, but I was able to put it back into place after watching the physio.  When I woke up this morning it was out again.  I wasn’t able to put it back so went back to see the physio.  She wasn’t able to get it back in either due to inflammation.  I managed to get it back in around noon, and with little use of it have been successful at keeping it in place for the rest of the day.  From Switzerland, take that Nate!

No comments:

Post a Comment