Tuesday 2 August 2011

Switzerland: Missing Home

            Ahh … this day started out with me asking my arch nemesis chaperone if I could please use her Internet when her kids were done (the internet I was suppose to be included in).   I applied for a job just prior to coming to Switzerland and since they can’t call me I told them they could email me.  She stared straight ahead, paused for 10 seconds and turned to me “You know, I am not going to treat you like you treat me, and yes, I am going to let you use my Internet”.  At this point, I apologized for upsetting her and explained that we had a miscommunication and I was sorry that I had upset her by coming to talk to her regarding it.  She then went on a 25-minute rant about every decision I have ever made and how it was wrong.  She is convinced I am the person I am because I have never had children.  I hate it when parents use this against me.   While I know having children changes you, I still believe that when running a team a coach or chaperone needs to make things as fair as possible.   She says we will never agree to what “fair” is.  To me it means that if one athlete is not allowed to leave for an afternoon because that is the team rule set out prior to departure that means all athletes should have to follow the same rule, regardless of how much they beg.  My arch nemesis does not agree.  She believes I have never made a decision based on common sense, and that is why she dislikes me.  She cited a time after a competition where I made all the athletes go back to the hotel to eat prior to heading off with their parents for the afternoon even though all parents were already at the competition.  I didn’t think my decision was unreasonable, the meal had been prepaid and preordered and this was how the schedule was sent out to the parents prior to leaving.  I had made a completely senseless decision, according to my nemesis.  Examples like this went on for seemingly ever.  Nothing I do will ever please this woman, nor is it worth my efforts from this point on!  I dropped the girls off to watch performances and went for a cappuccino and Swiss chocolate.  I spent the rest of my day trying to relax in the sun and cheer up.  I miss Nate and my family.  I feel very isolated here.  The people are just really weird.  Everyone but my nemesis is very nice, just weird and not my type.  I have been trying to spend as much time with Klara and Karen as possible.  I need too.  Tonight I am going to the English Speaking show.  I have heard from the coaches it is by far the worst performance, but since Canada is an English speaking country, the entire team got free tickets.  Klara and Karen are there, so maybe we can sneak out for some wine!

            Yes, the best thing happened!  My arch nemesis’s athlete forgot her ticket for the English speaking show.  I quickly volunteered my ticket and was off to find a pub.  This was the best thing that could have happened.  I sat down, ordered a glass of “ven blanc” and began reading my book.  This was close to one of my favorite moments here.  I met up with some girls after the show and took them down to the concert area with Karen.  It was just what I needed.  I feel back on track, my chi has been restored. 


         Tomorrow, France, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment